Bill Chimos, a Partner with Zetlin & De Chiara LLP, has extensive experience representing clients in complex commercial and construction litigation matters, including the resolution of claims through mediation and arbitration. Mr. Chimos regularly advises clients on business-related matters, professional licensing issues, contract drafting and negotiation, insurance matters and risk management strategies.
Mr. Chimos represents architects, engineers, design professionals, contractors, construction managers, owners, developers, and other parties in the construction industry. He also counsels owners in commercial landlord/tenant disputes.
Mr. Chimos is a featured guest lecturer at Cooper Union, delivering presentations on construction industry trends and issues.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2017 - 2018
- Represented engineer against claims concerning mechanical, electrical, plumbing and sprinkler engineering services in connection with the construction of a government facility located in the Bronx.
- Represented engineer against errors and omissions claim in connection with construction of one of the nation's premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation located in the Bronx.
- Represented design team against claims that the construction of Manhattan condominiums resulted in subpar air and water quality.
- Represented architect of an exclusive French-medium school based in Manhattan against claims of flawed design and installation of subgrade drainage system.
- Represented design team against negligence claims in connection with design and construction of Vermont mountain lodge and resort.
- Represented engineer against errors and omissions claim in connection with the fit-out work for a 2.8 million square foot, mixed-use structure in Manhattan.
- Represented architect against breach of contract and negligence claims brought by the condominium board of two 15-story buildings in Manhattan.
- Represented curtain wall engineer against deficiencies alleged by a condominium board with respect to the development of two 15-story buildings in Manhattan.
- Represented architects breach of contract, negligence and malpractice claims in connection with the construction of interdisciplinary laboratory for the arts and humanities on Long Island.
- Represented architect/interior designer of a single family dwelling in arbitration against error and/or omissions claims.
- Represented structural engineer of a nine-story science museum located in Connecticut against errors and omissions claims.
- Represented structural engineer of art museum against wrongful death claim.
- Represented interior design architect against deficiency claims in connection with interior design of an apartment in Manhattan.
- Represented architect of 14-unit condominium conversion against breach of contract and negligence claims.
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers' Association
- Liability for Building Foundations: A Geotechnical Dilemma — January 28, 2018
- Co-presenter: "Risk Management & Allocation," AIA-ACEC Risk Management Committee Meeting, November 2008
- Speaker: Recent Changes to the Lobbying Procurement Rules: Pitfalls You Can Avoid, AIA-ACEC New York Special Advisory Committee Meeting, May 2007
- Speaker: Lender Certifications, AIA-ACEC New York Special Advisory Committee Meeting, May 2007
- Speaker: "Solving Water Intrusion and Mold Problems," Lorman Education, September 2002
- Z&D News: Upcoming Events; Thought Leadership; Community Involvement; Firm Recognition; Promotions and Additions
- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Fall Update
- "Insuring a Design-Build Project," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Review, Spring 2005
- "Recent Litigation Affecting Mold," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP, Summer 2003
- Co-Author – "Insurance and Surety Bonds Relating to the Design and Construction Industries," New York Construction Law, March 2003
In the News
- Twelve Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Attorneys Receive Prestigious Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers 2018 Ranking
- Eleven Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers for 2017