Matthew Dials is an Associate with Zetlin & De Chiara LLP in the New York office. He focuses his practice representing design professionals and contractors on complex litigation arising from public and private projects. With a background in landscape architecture, Mr. Dials applies his experience in construction documentation and construction administration to evaluate and vigorously defend alleged claims. In addition, Mr. Dials advises clients on issues involving lien disputes, professional licensing and contracting.
At Zetlin & De Chiara, Mr. Dials works on various litigation and pre-claim matters arising from public infrastructure and municipal building projects in Boston, Massachusetts, private development error and omission disputes in New York City and Washington D.C. and specialty construction defects involving universities and museums.
Prior to law school, Mr. Dials worked as a landscape architect in training focusing on mixed use land planning, urban design, and construction. His work included designing and drafting construction documents for the World Trade Center streetscape reconstruction project and Liberty Park, as well as work on the Fulton Mall and Pike and Alan Mall Streetscape redevelopment projects.
Mr. Dials has also provided pro bono assistance to non-profit organizations whose goals include expanding infrastructure and community resources within western African villages.
During law school, Mr. Dials was involved in moot court, mock trial, and completed multiple internships for both private and public organizations. He was President of the Environmental Law Society and Dean's Award recipient for community service.
Honors & Awards
New York Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016
- 14+ Foundation
- American Bar Association, Construction Industry Forum
- Guest Lecturer, Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture, City College of New York, Masters of Landscape Architecture Professional Practice class, November 12, 2013
- Absence of Privity as a Defense to Claims Against Architects and Engineers, by Roy Schwartz and Matthew Dials
- Changes to FLSA Overtime Regulations Halted, by Carol Patterson and Matthew Dials
- “Evolution of the Green Movement to Actual Green Performance,” New York Real Estate Journal, February 2014.
- "State Contractual Liabilities and the Contract Clause: What Now?" Robert D’Agostino, John Marshall Law Journal, Fall 2012 (Researcher, Editor)
- "Uniform Commercial Code - Article 9, Problems and Materials on Secured Transactions," Carolina Academic Press, January 2012
- "American Bankruptcy Institute Southeast Bankruptcy Workshop Continuing Education Materials," Nancy Whaley, American Bankruptcy Institute, August 2011 (Researcher, Editor)
- "Paloian, the Indenture Trustee and Securitization: Much Smoke; No Fire," Robert D’Agostino, Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, January 2011 (Researcher, Editor)
In the News
- Eleven Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers for 2017
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Update Expedited Schedule Set by Fifth Circuit to Review Injunction Halting Overtime Rules
- Evolution of the Green Movement to Actual Green Performance, by Matthew Dials, New York Real Estate Journal, February 2014