Commercial Observer: 3rd Annual Midtown ForumLocation: 75 Rockefeller Plaza New York, NY 10019
Speaker: Michael Zetlin, Co-Founding Partner; Jonathan Mechanic, Fried Frank; Scott Rechler, RXR Realty; Robert Lapidus, L&L Holding Co.; David Falk, NY Tri-State Region Newmark Knight Frank; Kenneth Fisher, Fisher Brothers; Marc Holliday, SL Green Realty Corp.
Time: 07:30am — 12:00am
As the city’s geographical center and New York’s largest commercial real estate submarket, Midtown holds its position as one of the most viable and best-served office locations in the world.
However Midtown isn’t resting on its laurels. Owners are finding innovative ways to appeal to the market’s ever-evolving tenant mix as leasing activity is driven from a wider group of industries. But, with competition from less expensive options like Hudson Yards and Downtown, Midtown now has vast amounts of shadow space coming to market which is creating both opportunity and concern.
Michael S. Zetlin, a founding partner of Zetlin & De Chiara LLP, is one of the country’s leading construction litigators and contract specialists who also serves as a strategic advisor to clients.
A graduate civil engineer and attorney, Mr. Zetlin has successfully litigated and arbitrated many multi-million dollar construction claims throughout the United States on projects ranging across all markets including institutional, commercial, residential, energy and infrastructure. He has also drafted and negotiated contracts on projects with construction values in the hundreds of millions of dollars within these sectors.
With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Zetlin’s knowledge of the built environment and the issues involved in design, construction, and project management make him a formidable advocate representing national and multi-national firms and a number of the premier owners, developers, design professionals, and contractors in the U.S. and internationally. He also provides legal counsel to private equity firms, hedge funds and lenders for their construction-related ventures.
He is a fellow of the American College of Construction Lawyers and the Construction Lawyers Society of America as well as a member of the National Academy of Construction. Mr. Zetlin holds the notable AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is consistently recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 USA Guide, Super Lawyer Magazine, and Best Lawyers of America as a leading litigator in construction law. He has been appointed to the International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers by Who's Who Legal, and was named New York Construction Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers of America in 2011. Mr. Zetlin is also a recipient of the Harry B. Rutkins Award for Service to the New York Chapter of AIA. In 2014, he was inducted as a member of the National Academy of Construction, an organization established to recognize industry leaders in engineering and construction and offer this reservoir of expertise as a valuable service to the nation.
He serves as the General Counsel to the New York Building Congress and to the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. An author and lecturer, he is an Adjunct Professor at Columbia University, teaching the graduate program Legal Issues in Building Construction, and is the co-editor of New York Construction Law, the definitive treatise on construction law in New York.
Mr. Zetlin brings his dual legal/engineering background to most effectively represent the firm’s clients in complex litigation and arbitration in sectors that include: energy and power (e.g., biomass fuels, solar power and cogeneration facilities), institutional (e.g., hospitals, education, museums and government), infrastructure (e.g., airports, highways, bridges, and tunnels), sports facilities (e.g., stadiums and arenas) and all aspects of the built environment. His experience also includes representing his U.S. clients involved in international projects (e.g., South Sudan and Indonesia) in U.S.-based dispute resolution forums.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Zetlin devotes a considerable part of his practice to contract drafting and negotiation. He represents owners and developers from the onset of a project from team-selection, contract methods (e.g., design-bid-build, design-build, general contractor vs. construction manager, Integrated Project Delivery, and P3), through the contract negotiation and drafting process. His unique combination of a legal and engineering background combined with an unparalleled understanding of his practice areas has been recognized by nationally-known law firms which have hired Mr. Zetlin to draw up construction contracts for their personal projects.
Mr. Zetlin also routinely consults with his clients on risk management and other issues that arise in the day-to-day travails of a construction project, and his general counseling advice is often sought by his clients and by industry organizations.
- Construction Lawyers Society of America
- National Academy of Construction
- Construction Lawyers Society of America
- American Bar Foundation
Honors & Awards
- American Arbitration Association - Arbitrator, Construction Panel; Member, Large, Complex Case Panel
General Counsel / Board Membership
- New York Building Congress - General Counsel; Member, Council of Presidents, Higher Education, Transportation & Infrastructure, Planning, Growth & Sustainability Committees
- American Institute of Architects, New York City - General Counsel
- Pratt Institute - Member, Board of Trustees
- Steven L. Newman Real Estate Institute of the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College, Advisory Board Member
- Lincoln Center’s Real Estate & Construction Council, Member
- Columbia University Industry Advisory Committee of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics - Advisory Board Member
- American Bar Association - Past Governing Committee Member, Construction Industry Forum
- Global Design Alliance - Member, Board of Directors
- American Council of Engineering Companies - Member, Legal Counsel Forum
- Ort America, Inc. - Member, Board of Directors
- Commercial Observer's The New Face of Downtown — November 29, 2017
- Commercial Observer's Brooklyn Queens Event — October 31, 2017
- THE CURE The 2017 Healthcare Construction Report — September 19, 2017
- Commercial Observer's Midtown Means Business Breakfast — May 11, 2017
- American College of Construction Lawyers, Annual Meeting — March 16, 2017
- P3C Public-Private Partnership Conference 2017 — February 28, 2017
- Commercial Observer: Pulse Healthcare Conference — November 10, 2016
- Moderator - Health Care Pulse, Commerical Observer Breakfast, November 2016
- Moderator - Offices 2025, Commerical Observer Breakfast, March 2016
- Moderator - Social Public Private Partnerships: A New Tool for Real Estate Development, March 2016
- Moderator - Attracting the Right Partner: Procuring PPPs, Public-Private Partnership Conference & Expo 2016, March 2016
- Presenter - Transformative Projects, Transformative Risk Management, New York Build, March 2016
- Moderator - Bisnow’s 6th Annual NYC Construction & Development Summit, November 18, 2015
- Moderator - Building Brooklyn, June 4, 2015
- Moderator - Anchin Construction & Development Summit, February 12, 2015
- Moderator - Bisnow’s 5th Annual NYC Construction & Development Summit, December 4, 2014
- Moderator - Schools, Colleges & Universities: a Construction Report Card, September 16, 2014
- Speaker - “Transformative Projects, Transformative Issues,” June 2014
- Speaker - Michael Zetlin Speaks at the Inaugural ISO 55000 Conference for the United States, May 2014
- Moderator -BUILDING BETTER: Boosting Your Construction Project’s Bottom Line, November 13, 2013
- Moderator -New York’s Next Urban Agenda: What’s the Future of Real Estate, Development and Construction in New York City? October 9, 2013
- Speaker - "BIM - Improved Life Cycle Management, Maintenance and Enhanced Energy Performance," The Steven L. Newman Real Estate Institute, February 2013
- Moderator - "Latest Innovations in the Design and Construction of Sports Facilities," ENR Construction, November 2012
- Panelist - "Where Will The Opportunities Be in 2013? NY and Beyond," Bloomberg Commercial Real Estate Conference, November 2012
- Moderator - "Public Private Partnerships - They're Coming to New York," New York State MWBE Forum, October 2012
- Moderator - "Project Labor Agreements: Real Savings or Window Dressing?" Zetlin & De Chiara with Willis and Deloitte, May 2012
- Speaker - "BIM is Coming, BIM is Here - Now What? An Analysis of Legal Issues," NYBC Architects Leadership Council, May 2012
- Moderator - "New York and Its Grid-Breaking Megaprojects: Themes & Issues," Megaprojects Conference, May 2012
- Speaker - "Design Contracts and Other Design Issues," New York County Lawyer's Association, April 2012
- Moderator - "Integrated Project Delivery: A New Paradigm for Construction Success," Zetlin & De Chiara with American Airlines and CH2M HILL, March 2012
- "Corporate Governance - What Does It Mean for My Firm?," ACEC New York Winter Conference, January 2012
- Speaker - "AIA Fast Track Series: Architectural Law," AIA New York, April 2011
- Moderator - "P3s: The Next Generation of Sustainable Development," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP and The Steven L. Newman Real Estate Institute Baruch College, February 2011
- Judge - "Engineering Excellence Awards Competition," American Council of Engineering Companies, February 2011
- "Your Firm: What's It Worth?," Zetlin & De Chiara with Anchin Block & Anchin, October 2010
- "Protecting Profitability: Presenting Persuasive Claims on Public Projects without Running Afoul of the False Claims Act," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP with Hill International, September 2010
- "The Current Economic Crisis Affecting the Tri-State Region," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP, McGraw-Hill and New York Construction Forum, November 2008
- "Legal Issues in Building Information Modeling Management," McGraw-Hill BIM Workshop, November 2008
- Z&D News: Upcoming Events; Thought Leadership; Community Involvement; Firm Recognition; Promotions and Additions
- The New Downtown, Michael Zetlin's Compelling Conversation with Larry Silverstein, Chairman of Silverstein Properties and Jessica Lappin, President of the Alliance for Downtown New York.
- Michael Zetlin Moderated a Panel on Development in Queens at the Commercial Observer's "BQE: The Brooklyn, Queens Event"
- Healthcare Facilities Construction
- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Fall Update
- Author - "As another worker dies, big questions still surround NY Scaffold Law" Real Estate Weekly, April 2015
- Author - "A New Construction Paradigm: Integrated Project Delivery," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Review, September 2012
- Co-Author - "Collaboration by Contract: The Legal Side of Integrated Project Delivery," Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Review, September 2012
- Co-Editor – "New York Construction Law," Aspen Publishers
- "Integrated Project Delivery (IPD): A new Paradigm for Construction," Real Estate Weekly, October 2011
- Author – "Public Private Partnerships Provide New Opportunities," New York Construction Supplement, July 2010
- Author – "How We Will Build New York: Hospitals and Healthcare," New York Construction, August 2009
- Author – "How We Will Build New York," New York Construction, July 2009
- Co-Author - "Ammunition for Litigation? The Collateral Use of a Construction Professional's Violations of Licensing Regulations and Codes of Ethics," American College of Construction Lawyers, Summer 2007
- Co-Author – "Structural Condition Assessment – Legal Issues," Structure Magazine, August 2006
- Chapter Author – "Limiting Exposure After 9/11/2001," Building Security: Handbook for Architectural Planning and Design, McGraw Hill Companies, 2003
In the News
- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Earns Top Recognition in Chambers USA For The 12th Consecutive Year
- Twelve Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Attorneys Receive Prestigious Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers 2018 Ranking
- Michael Zetlin Featured in the Commercial Observer
- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Ranked Tier 1 in U.S. News' 2018 "Best Law Firms"
- Zetlin & De Chiara to Speak on the Built Environment of Healthcare at Conferences in New York and Texas
- Eleven Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers for 2017
- Zetlin & De Chiara Attorneys Selected For The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Michael Zetlin Profiled in Power of Attorneys: The Lawyers Who Shape Everything in the World of Real Estate, Commercial Observer
- Zetlin & De Chiara’s Construction Law Expertise Recognized by Legal 500 US
- Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Earns Top Recognition by Chambers USA For The 11th Consecutive Year
- Michael Zetlin Leads Discussion on Midtown’s Real Estate Market at Commercial Observer Breakfast Panel
- Michael Zetlin Moderates Discussion on Social P3s at Public-Private Partnership Conference & Expo 2017
- Construction Dominates The Conversation At Health Care Industry Panel
- Seven Lawyers from Zetlin & De Chiara LLP Selected for Best Lawyers in America
- Michael Zetlin Is the Legal Mind Who Knows a Thing or Two About Engineering & Construction, Commercial Observer, May 2016
- Video: Tomorrow’s Workforce Doesn’t Want Yesterday’s Buildings, Commercial Observer, April 2016
- Michael Zetlin quoted in The Social Network, Real Estate Weekly, March 2016
- Big questions surrounding NY Scaffold Law, by Michael Zetlin and Alana Sliwinski, Real Estate Weekly, March 2015
- Michael S. Zetlin Elected to National Academy of Construction
- Michael Zetlin Is the Legal Mind Who Knows a Thing or Two About Engineering & Construction, Commerical Observer, May 2016
- Michael Zetlin quoted on The Social Network, Real Estate Weekly, March 2016
- Construction Lawyer is Engineering an Expansion, Real Estate Weekly, December 2013
- Michael Zetlin quoted in Fears of lawsuits hold back Sandy help, published by Crain's New York Business on February 22, 2013.
- Michael Zetlin of Zetlin & De Chiara LLP on the Future of NYC Construction
- New York Building Congress Puts the Focus on Industry's Response to Hurricane Sandy at 2012 Industry Recognition Dinner
- Michael Zetlin Weighs in on Protective Barrier for Downtown Manhattan
- Michael Zetlin Outlines Partnership Approach to Construction
- Michael Zetlin Discusses E-Discovery Disaster Prevention with ENR